Jeans have come a long way and in this century they have become a symbol of dressing for both men and women. From wanting to have a corporate attire to casual outfits, jeans have become the most versatile piece of clothing. They have become a universal product. Therefore, it has become an ever present piece of clothing that for sure is found in each and every wardrobe around the world. They are no doubt the most bought and worn garment on the planet.
Today’s social media has provided great opportunities for people out there. The number one opportunity is shopping online as you have the ability to shop for anything you want, wherever you want. However, there comes many hurdles with social media as well and the most top listed is when you cant feel or touch the product you buy and have to trust the brand and your own instinct.
Buying a pair of jeans is the most stressful thing to buy online. It is less of a hassle when you go in the store, try on jeans, see the material and then head to the counter. But not all people have the time to drive to a store to buy a pair of jeans.
So, for those who want to purchase a pair of jeans online, here are some tips which will help you buy a great pair of jeans online.
- KNOW YOU WAIST, HIP AND LENGTH SIZE
It is very important before buying a pair of jeans that you need to know your measurements. This does not take ages. Grab a measuring tape and if you don’t have one, grab a string and when your done taking your measurement, measure the string with a ruler. You need to measure 3 things; waist, hip and inseam length.
- Wrap your measuring tape first around your waist which is the part between your belly button and chest.
- Then come down to take the measurement of your hip which is the widest part of the body, almost where the zip of your jeans is.
Now measure your inseam length, especially its important for men as their jeans are labeled with waist and length size. Starting from the crotch of your jeans to the end of your leg.
Now write down these measurements so you don’t forget.
- MEASURE A PAIR OF JEANS YOU OWN
Open your wardrobe, take out your perfect pair of jeans you own.
To measure the waist, put your measuring tape at the back side of jeans and double it. Similarly, for the hip measure the end of your zip and double the measurement.
This is the easiest way to get your measurement.
- USE THE SIZE CHART
The size chart or measuring guide on any website is very helpful as all brands have a somewhat different size chart with slight changes in size. So, it’s always a great idea to compare your measurements with the measurements of the brands. Your waist size mostly mark what size you are in jeans but don’t forget to also check on the hip size and length.
The description of the item is also helpful as it tells you what the model is wearing which gives you a deeper idea to what the same pair of jeans would look like on you.
- CHECK FABRIC
Don’t ignore the fabric or material of the jeans. You definitely want to buy jeans with a little stretch so they fit best. Avoid buying jeans which consist of more viscose. Rather go for denim which contains 2-3% of spandex and elastane.
- KNOW YOUR STYLE
It’s difficult to figure out what jeans will look best on you. So, first get all the pair of jeans out of your wardrobe and try which best suits you. If you are still not sure then here are some tips to what jeans will suit your body shape best.
- Skinny jeans are best for slim and thin legs.
- Bootcut is great on bulky legs. If you are tall then choose bootcut jeans.
- Straight legs jeans suit those of medium height as they are more casual and classy jeans.
- Relaxed fit is targeted for more bulkier men.
- Dark washed jeans are the safest option for everyone.
- ADJUSTING JEANS
Even if you have bought a pair which does not fit you perfectly, you can try a few techniques to adjust the size.
- A bigger or lose waist can be adjusted with a belt.
- Washing your jeans in hot water for a long period of time with no fabric softener could reduce the waist. However, fabric softener only helps when your waist is becoming stretchy. To bring it back to original size it helps.
- You can add an elastic at the back of the jeans’ waist for better fitting.
- For adjusting the length the best option is to go to the tailor and get the jeans cut to fit your legs length.
- READ REVIEWS ABOUT THE PRODUCT
Reading reviews can give you a better insight on the fit and quality of jeans you have chosen. other people’s experiences can give you another chance to also check the durability of the product.
- CONTACT THE BRAND
If you are confused about your choice then reach out to the brand store through email, phone or live chat. Discuss and ask for recommendations for your best fit.
- ORDER 2 SIZES
When in doubt the best option is to order 2 sizes. This way you can check what fits you better and keep that pair of jeans and returning the others.
- KNOW THE RETURN POLICY
Before buying 2 sizes, make sure you read the websites or brands return and exchange policy. Some do free return shipping while some brands require you to pay for the return shipping. Also read the terms and conditions for the brand that in what state your product should be in to be accepted as a return or exchange. Don’t forget how many days you need to return the item.
Still if you don’t find the perfect jeans don’t be discouraged as you can always go in store to try and buy the perfect jeans that fit you best.